Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Strip District and Primanti Bros.

Located just outside of downtown is the Strip District in Pittsburgh.  In this area are various restaurants, shops, bars and nightclubs.  Before we headed to Pittsburgh, I was told by some folks that this was the most "happening" area of the city and that it could be compared to South Street in Philly.  I honestly didn't see the similarities.  The amount of people roaming around on a perfect weather Sunday afternoon was quite small.  There were a few places that weren't even open.  Perhaps this place is better to visit at other times, but I wasn't very impressed while I was there.

The only real highlight to me was Primanti Bros.  This restaurant is probably the food that the city of Pittsburgh is most well known for.  Even though they have other locations scattered around the city, the Strip District one is the original.  What sets their sandwiches apart from other places is the fact that they put the french fries and cole slaw directly on every sandwich.  Some may look at that and say, "huh?", but honestly, it tasted great!  Although I should note I got it without cole slaw since I'm not a fan of it.  If you're in Pittsburgh, this is definitely a must-stop place for food, and they are open 24 hours.




Also check out our video here of the cook making the sandwiches!



No comments:

Post a Comment