Monday, May 28, 2012

The Avenue Restaurant

Turkey and cheese sandwich with mashed potatoes
Corned beef sandwich and corn nuggets

The Avenue Restaurant along Gettysburg's famed Steinwehr Ave., is definitely worth passing by (unless you're stopping for coffee and corn nuggets).

We stopped here for lunch after flipping a coin between the avenue's couple of restaurants. Diners, especially diners that have been around and family owned for a number of years (and brags about it), are usually the best bets. This was not the case with The Avenue Restaurant.

We both ordered sandwiches. I ordered a corned beef with cheddar and my dining partner ordered a turkey and cheese. While the turkey and cheese was OK (nothing to write home about), the corned beef was tough and nearly inedible. When you bit into the sandwich, all the meat came out with it because, frankly, I couldn't bite through it.

I decided that, to give the sandwich a fair chance, I would fork-and-knife it. The meat DID cut, though not easily. For corned beef, it was the toughest, most bland meat I have ever eaten. I didn't even make it through half of the sandwich.

However, as my side I ordered corn nuggets, which may have been the only bright spot in this meal. They were cooked well and properly served with warm maple syrup.

Definitely pass on The Avenue Restaurant, and check out some of Gettysburg's other eateries.

No comments:

Post a Comment